Join your St. Andrew's pastors, staff and Dr. Michael Chan for a unique new opportunity in Fall 2020 as we focus on four life-giving practices of abundant living! Special courses designed with you in mind to grow deeper and faith and have a little fun along the way!
These 4-week courses are designed to give you a deeper look into Worship, Prayer, Study of Scripture and Sharing Faith Stories. We'll meet together as a large group in Week One with Dr. Michael Chan and then break into small discussion groups for the remainder of month. Discussion groups meet once a week at various times. Short on time? Consider registering for the large group session and weekly podcasts by Dr. Chan.
I have come that they may have life and have it abundantly – John 10:10
We’ll kick-off a new topic each month as we commit to grow deeper in our faith and application of faith in our everyday lives.
- Engage in Worship and Prayer – frequently and fervently
- Tend to Scripture – faithfully and fruitfully
- Share our Faith Stories – authentically and compellingly
- Serve – courageously and generously
OCTOBER TOPIC: WORSHIP & PRAYER
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 7- 7 PM - 8:30 PM (LARGE GROUP)
Why do we spend time in prayer and worship in the first place? What are we accomplishing? What’s the point? Why not spend our time accomplishing concrete and measurable goals? The Bible calls us to the spiritual practices of prayer and worship, but why? And to what end? In this class, we explore these questions, and explore the Bible’s remarkable claim that prayer and worship not only change us, but they also change the world.
DISCUSSION GROUPS (SELECT ONE):
- PODCAST-TO-GO What’s prayer got to do with it? Weekly podcast and online discussion opportunities covering: Gratitude and the good life, worshipping with our whole bodies, how prayer changes the world , and the secret place: prayer as Cultivating Friendship with Christ. Facilitated by Dr. Michael Chan. WEEKLY PODCAST via EMAIL
- READY, SET, GO! This interactive half-hour experience between your Sunday dinner and bedtime routine will get your family emotionally and spiritually ready for the week ahead. The guided conversation invites your family to pause from a busy weekend, share “highs and lows,” try out a new family faith practice, and close by blessing each other. Connect with other families and explore how to make Sunday check-ins part of your weekly rhythm for the months ahead. Taught by: Mark Jackson, Children's, Youth & Family Director. SUNDAYS 7 - 7:30 PM, Oct. 11, 18, 25
- BOOK DISCUSSION: HOLY ENVY- Barbara Brown Taylor in her book, “Holy Envy” tackles the questions, worries, and concerns that arise when we encounter “other” religions. She nudges us away from spiritual appropriation and comparison, and toward challenging discernment of our faith and the faith of others. Join us as we discuss her book and discover the spiritual riches God can teach us from the faith of others. Please read the first 4 chapters for our first Class on October 14. Facilitated by: Pastor Sarah Breckenridge and Deacon Stephanie Anderson. WEDNESDAYS 12 NOON - 1 PM. Oct. 14, 21, 28
- WORSHIP & PRAYER 101: WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO
What we do matters. Join Pastor Mike Carlson for a discussion-style course on Lutheran worship and prayer. Taught by: Pastor Mike Carlson, Lead Pastor. WEDNESDAYS 7 - 8 PM. Oct. 14, 21, 28
- SPIRITUAL PRACTICES: The Pilgrimage Within: Cultivating Spiritual Practices that Nurture Your Soul for LIFE
There is a pilgrim’s journey in all of us. As we journey through life’s travels, we realize the more substantive way is the deeper pilgrimage into sacred space within us. How do we become more self-aware of our interior self and let our true self deep within us shine? The answer is simple: By experiencing new spiritual prayer practices that integrate into our daily rhythms. Every week we will try a new spiritual practice ranging from Lectio Divina, the Examen, Centering Prayer, the Labyrinth, Contemplative Photography, and more. Come join us for a deeper Pilgrimage Within. Taught by: Pastor Brian Norsman, Certified Spiritual Director. THURSDAYS 7- 8 PM, Oct. 15, 21, 29